There’s no shortcut to zero in on a particular style of bridesmaid dress that would work for all. But when you are looking for dresses for your girls, it is important to hone in on styles that flatter their body shapes.
Here are the 5 factors to consider before choosing dresses that will make your girls look gorgeous and feel confident.
#1: Determine the body type of each of your maid
By and large, body shapes can be categorised in the following divisions:
- Apple: It is characterized by narrow hips and thighs and broad shoulders
- Banana: Girls having somewhat a straight shape with a little or no curves are known to have banana-shaped body.
- Pear: Women having wider hips than the bust are known to have pear shaped body.
- Hourglass: Women with wider bust and hips with slender waistline have hourglass figure.
A number of designing houses, as well as fashion designers working independently offer plenty of bridesmaids’ dresses suitable to each body type. You might want to draw inspirations from some of the dresses suitable to each body types.
#2: Determine how long (or how short) the bridesmaids’ dresses will be:
The length of the bridesmaids dresses can, once again be divided into three categories:
- Cocktail: in these dresses, the skirts end at mid thigh. They are perfect for women having apple- and banana shaped bodies. They can be worn round the year.
- Tea length: Perfect as a casual wear, tea length bridesmaid dresses hit at the shin or calf. Generally, tea length dresses flare out at the bottom and are fitted at the top. It is specially recommended for women having hourglass and / or pear shaped body types.
- Full length: They can flatter all body types. Nevertheless, bridesmaids of shorter stature might need to have their full length dresses hemmed.
#3: Consider the Neckline
Next in line, make sure that you decide on the neckline of the bridesmaid dresses because it can help conceal or show off the bust , as and when needed. Some of the popular necklines for bridesmaids’ dresses are:
- Bateau neckline or the ‘boat neck’: It accentuates broad shoulders, and hence not recommended for women having apple-shaped body. However, it is a flattering recommendation for pear body type.
- One shoulder neckline and square neckline: it is particularly recommended for women with apple body types.
- The scoop neckline: It refers to a rounded low neckline that dips from the shoulders to almost the bust line. Perfect for the pear body type women.
- Sweetheart neckline and V-neckline: Both of them give an illusion of a fuller shape to women with banana body types.
#4: Choose silhouettes that will suit the bridesmaids best
The silhouette, which is basically the full-body shape of any dress, is a vital factor to consider when selecting the ideal bridesmaid dress to keep them happy. There are different types of silhouettes like:
- A-line: It fits at the hips and widens towards the hem. It is a great option for women belonging to any body shape.
- Drop waist: Popularized in the 1920’s, a drop waist silhouette characterizes a longer bodice section with a shorter skirt. It looks great on women having minimal curves, and those having longer torsos and smaller hips. However, it is not recommended for petit women.
- Full skirt: Otherwise known as empire waist silhouettes, it is characterized by knee-length or longer skirt which is gathered at the wearer’s waist. It is recommended for all three body types (with the exception of hourglass figure).
- Surplice bodice: Here the bodice is designed by the cross wrapping of the fabric, and is known to be a figure flattering silhouette for pear-shaped women.
- Trumpet skirts: The silhouette is body hugging, and is recommended for banana body type.
#5: Give due consideration to the sleeve length
Here’s a guideline on choosing the correct sleeve length for your bridesmaids:
- Cap sleeve bridesmaids dress: Suitable for apple body types as it helps conceal their broad shoulders. It is also suitable for banana body types.
- Sleeveless/ spaghetti strap/ strapless dresses: Recommended for pear body shape. However, strapless and/ or spaghetti dresses are also recommended for women having hourglass figure.
However, it’s always good to let your girls pick their own styles. But make sure that they select their dresses from one particular designer. That way, parity between all bridesmaid dresses can be maintained. You can suggest them different online shops offering stylish and quality bridesmaid dresses for reasonable prices.